Wednesday, August 22, 2012

You Take the Good, You Take the Bad

As would be expected, I get most of my inspiration to blog while I'm running.  And tonight's run was just bad.  B-A-D.  But don't worry.  This isn't going to be one of those "I hate running" posts.  Quite the opposite, actually.  Let's start with an AWESOME update: Last week I ran the farthest I've ever run without stopping to walk or rest.  Guess how long.  4 miles.  4.  FOUR.  I realize for a lot of people that's just another day...but for me it's HUGE!  I was/am so excited!  It made me think back to my first ever run.  I couldn't even make it 1/4 of a mile without stopping...and I just went four whole miles!  Beyond excited! 

Over the weekend I was at the lake...Greers Ferry.  While I was there I tried for a little 2-miler and it was quite possibly the worst run to date.  The roads there could be roller coasters.  Literally up, down, up, down.  I'm not used to running hills yet, so I only made it a little over a mile and a half before having to stop and walk the rest of the way.  In my defense...these hills may as well have been mountains.  They were huge.  You know the hills of Heber!  HUGE!  Anyways, it was very discouraging.  I may have even cried from disappointment in myself.  I mean come on, I had JUST run four miles straight a couple of days before. Ok...it was bad, and now I'm over it.

Came home and ran at the beginning of the week and it was fabulous!  I ran 2.5 miles, which is what my training told me to run, and it was perfect.  I felt awesome the entire time.  What bad run over the weekend??  I was back on top!

Then there was tonight.  Another 2.5...and it was awful.  I had to walk a little bit, and when I did stop to walk it was so hard to get running again.  Only went about 2.1 tonight, but I just couldn't take another step.

Now...the good news here is that as I've decided...I've learned...that sometimes there are just bad days.  Sure, there are lots of things I do in my daily life that can play a part in how I run, but sometimes, even if I've done everything perfectly, there are just bad days.  And it's about time I realized that.  Otherwise it's going to be a long 14 more weeks!  (Can y'all believe I'm on week 10 of my training??  I can't!  Awesome!)

You know, when you love somebody/something, you take the good and you take the bad...that's love.  With running it's no different.  I'm so glad I love it enough now to not let the bad days get to me as bad.  Don't get me wrong...they still definitely get to me...but they don't make me want to quit.  I can still get excited about the next run.  About making it better. 

5 miles this week...wish me luck!



                                                                                           Jessica


1 comment:

  1. You can do it! And I think it's normal to have good runs and bad runs. I didn't run that much but just in my short time, I had those. I'm proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete