Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Worst Runner Ever

Either running is the most frustrating sport there is, or I'm the worst runner ever.  Or maybe a little bit of both.

Let me start by saying I've had this hip pain (I'm an old lady) for about 2 weeks.  At first I was able to run through it and be ok, but this passed weekend I was supposed to up my run to 6 miles and made it about 2.5 before I had to stop.  The pain was excruciating and I just couldn't go any further. 

I spent Monday night with a runner friend and a few of her runner friends and got some good advice, was shown some hip strengthening exercises, took a couple of days off to recover, and thought tonight I'd be able to make it.  Now keep in mind, my long run is only 6 miles right now, so during the week I'm only supposed to run between 3 and 4 miles.  Tonight was just awful...hip was hurting, I had no drive, no stamina...I just didn't even want to be out there.  It was almost like I had never run before.  Ok, that's a little bit of an exaggeration, but not much.  I have two and a half months before I'm supposed to run 13.1 miles.  Can someone please remind me what made me think that would ever be possible??  I'm just so disappointed in myself.

I'm going to give it a go again tomorrow and I have another chance at the 6 miles this weekend.  Fingers crossed...



                                                                                        Jessica

4 comments:

  1. I love that you write things like this because this is real. And yes, these things happen! Where does it hurt? You may have bursitis. I had it, got a cortizone shot and now I'm fine! Ice, stretch & if it keeps hurting, go to the doc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did think about you when my hip started hurting...haha! It hurts kinda in the joint right where my leg connects. I'm working through trying to figure out the problem. Today it hurts just sitting here. I'm so old!

      Delete
  2. totally don't get discouraged!! i don't know if i've written this in my comments before, but i injured my leg 2 months before my half. i made the executive decision not to run again until the race (soooo dumb), when really, i should have just given myself enough time to recover and then picked back up with my training. now, i stretch like a crazy person and then ice and foam-roll the shit out of my legs when i get done with a run - helps so much.

    my 1/2 "training" and experience: http://cherylwittmann.blogspot.com/2012/03/131.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! And I LOVED your post about your half. It's really helpful to know that everybody goes through rough patches. I just have to bust my ass the next 2.5 months!

      Delete